Friday, February 04, 2005

Patty Murray on Gonzales

Dear [Garrett]:

Thank you for contacting me about the nomination of Alberto R. Gonzales to be Attorney General of the United States. I appreciate knowing your views on this important nomination.

I voted against confirming Mr. Gonzales when the Senate considered his nomination on February 3, 2005. Mr. Gonzales was confirmed by a vote of 60-36. I have heard from many Washingtonians regarding this nomination. There are several issues that call into question Mr. Gonzales’ qualifications to be our nations’ next Attorney General. The Attorney General has a direct impact on the rights, lives, and liberties of every American. He is not merely an advisor to the president. He is the chief law enforcement officer of our country. Because of these unique responsibilities, an attorney general must meet certain standards.

I examined Mr. Gonzales’ record in Texas, at the White House, and before the Senate Judiciary Committee. As White House Counsel, his record shows a troubling pattern of "finding in the law" the answers that his superiors sought. Mr. Gonzales approved standards of torture that defy U.S. law, international agreements, and the Constitution. Time and again, Mr. Gonzales has stood up for government secrecy and blocked accountability to the American people. As then-Governor Bush’s counsel, Mr. Gonzales prepared 57 briefs summarizing the clemency requests of prisoners who were facing execution. In these briefs, Mr. Gonzales left out exculpatory evidence and key facts that might have warranted further review.

I voted against Mr. Gonzales because he has not shown the independence and integrity to be Attorney General, and because his record does not inspire the public confidence necessary in America's highest law enforcement officer. I am still very concerned about his willingness to enforce laws when they conflict with the policies supported by the White House. Mr. Gonzales’ personal story is inspiring, and as he undertakes his new role, I hope that his actions in office will prove me wrong.

Again, thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts on this important nomination. If I can be of future assistance, please be in touch.

Sincerely,

Patty Murray
United States Senator

1 comment:

Gonzo said...

"Mr. Gonzales’ personal story is inspiring, and as he undertakes his new role, I hope that his actions in office will prove me wrong."

Nice words, but when was the last time a politician ever admitted that they were wrong about someone "across the aisle"?