Saturday, April 28, 2007

Bush has gone AWOL?

General Odom thinks so.

"Good morning, this is Lieutenant General William E. Odom, U.S. Army, retired.

"I am not now nor have I ever been a Democrat or a Republican. Thus, I do not speak for the Democratic Party. I speak for myself, as a non-partisan retired military officer who is a former Director of the National Security Agency. I do so because Nancy Pelosi, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, asked me.

"In principle, I do not favor Congressional involvement in the execution of U.S. foreign and military policy. I have seen its perverse effects in many cases. The conflict in Iraq is different. Over the past couple of years, the President has let it proceed on automatic pilot, making no corrections in the face of accumulating evidence that his strategy is failing and cannot be rescued.

"Thus, he lets the United States fly further and further into trouble, squandering its influence, money, and blood, facilitating the gains of our enemies. The Congress is the only mechanism we have to fill this vacuum in command judgment.

"To put this in a simple army metaphor, the Commander-in-Chief seems to have gone AWOL, that is 'absent without leave.' He neither acts nor talks as though he is in charge. Rather, he engages in tit-for-tat games."

8 comments:

Gonzo said...

Kinda sounds like that poor Polish lieutenant the Nazis dragged to a radio station to publicly deplore the Polish incursion into Germany.

Pathetic.

Gonzo said...

On further review, it appears that this guy whores himself out to anti-war folks and has for the past few years. Nice try.

Garrett said...

Ah, so you can call Democrats Nazis, but anyone who calls Republicans Nazis is a traitor?

Grow up.

SeattleSusieQ said...

He "whores himself out"? How about he has an educated opinion - and speaks when ANYONE asks hims about it.

Whores himself out? Nice touch. NOT.

Gonzo said...

I didn't call anyone a Nazi, I drew a parallel. An analogy.

Not reading very carefully, are we?

And, yes, he does sell himself to the highest bidder. Either that or his brain has slipped a gear because this new-found anti-Bush diatribe is very recent.

Garrett said...

Ah. You can say that someone is analogous to a Nazi, but Olbermann can't say someone physically resembles a Nazi.

Tell me, Gonz, do you actually _think_ before pressing "publish"?

Gonzo said...

I also did not say someone was analogous to a Nazi nor looked like one. READ. I drew up an analogy to the situation and not anyone.

SeattleSusieQ said...

Speaking of Nazi comparisons, any comments, Gonz, on Glenn Beck comparing Al Gore to Hitler?