Monday, April 23, 2007

A Conflicted Decision

Mike Gallagher, talk show host, offered airtime to the dirtbags at the Westboro Baptist Church in exchange for them not protesting the Virginia Tech funerals. He made a similar offer and succeeded in getting these jerks to not protest at the funerals for the slain Amish children a while back.

In this article, he explains the pros and cons of his conscientious decision.

Some excepts:

If you've never heard of this angry group of people, they believe that random acts of violence, killings, and even the deaths of American soldiers in the war are a result of God's wrath over homosexuality. They've repeatedly stated that innocent murder victims deserved their fate. They routinely hold picket signs outside the churches of funerals that say things like, "Your son is rotting in Hell" and "Thank God for IEDs" and "Your daughter deserved to die." One of them told me today that they were already making signs for the Virginia Tech funerals that would have said, "Hokies in Hell" (hokie is the Va Tech mascot).

They have formally announced that they are cancelling all of their scheduled protests for the Virginia Tech shooting victims funerals as a result of receiving this invitation to be on my show.

I know that many people disagree with my decision. I have also received many notes and calls of support. Please allow me to state why I'm doing this: I truly feel called, on a spiritual level, to allow my radio show to be a tool that prevents these angry, hateful people the opportunity to hurt grieving families.

1 comment:

Garrett said...

Good for him, I think.