Thursday, April 19, 2007

D'Souza strikes out again

"Notice something interesting about the aftermath of the Virginia Tech shootings? Atheists are nowhere to be found."

I am an atheist and a professor at Virginia Tech. Dinesh D’Souza says that I don’t exist, that I have nothing to say, that I am nowhere to be found.

But I am here....

I know that brutal death can come unannounced into any life, but that we should aspire to look at our approaching death with equanimity, with a sense that it completes a well-walked trail, that it is a privilege to have our stories run through to their proper end. I don’t need to live forever to live once and to live completely. It is precisely because I don’t believe there is an afterlife that I am so horrified by the stabbing and slashing and tattering of so many lives around me this week, the despoliation and ruination of the only thing each of us will ever have.

We atheists do not believe in gods, or angels, or demons, or souls that endure, or a meeting place after all is said and done where more can be said and done and the point of it all revealed. We don’t believe in the possibility of redemption after our lives, but the necessity of compassion in our lives. We believe in people, in their joys and pains, in their good ideas and their wit and wisdom. We believe in human rights and dignity, and we know what it is for those to be trampled on by brutes and vandals. We may believe that the universe is pitilessly indifferent but we know that friends and strangers alike most certainly are not. We despise atrocity, not because a god tells us that it is wrong, but because if not massacre then nothing could be wrong....

2 comments:

Gonzo said...

I thought we had privately agreed to not discuss this gere in a political vein?

Anyone who uses this tragedy to promote a viewpoint, such as atheism or the opposite, is a shitbag.

You do what you want, but personally I would refrain from reposting dribble like this here.

Garrett said...

I seem to recall reserving the right to respond to idiots using the issue for their own purposes. While gun control was what I thought was most likely, D'Souza's article definitely qualifies.