Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The clearest indication of how bad Gonzales really is...

...is that he makes Ashcroft look good.

...The sick man was John Ashcroft, who was in the hospital with acute pancreatitis. Hours before his hospitalization, Ashcroft and Comey had decided not to reauthorize the president's secret, controversial, domestic-surveillance program.

The night after the Justice Department told the White House, Comey received a phone call. The president's chief of staff, Andy Card, and then-White House counsel Alberto Gonzales were on their way to Ashcroft's hospital room.

"I told my security detail that I needed to get to George Washington Hospital immediately," Comey testified. "They turned on the emergency equipment and drove very quickly to the hospital. I got out of the car and literally ran up the stairs."

The room was dark. Mrs. Ashcroft was standing by the bed. Comey said that Ashcroft, in his sixth day in intensive care, was not in good shape. He was unfocused, disoriented.

"And it was only a matter of minutes that the door opened and in walked Mr. Gonzales, carrying an envelope, and Mr. Card," Comey said. "They came over and stood by the bed, greeted the attorney general very briefly, and then Mr. Gonzales began to discuss why they were there — to seek his approval for a matter."

Then, Ashcroft did something that stunned Comey. He lifted his head off the pillow and explained in strong, detailed terms why he would not sign the paper.

"And as he laid back down, he said, 'But that doesn't matter because I'm not the attorney general. There is the attorney general.' And he pointed to me," Comey testified. "I was just to his left. The two men did not acknowledge me. They turned and walked from the room."

5 comments:

Gonzo said...

Something smells about this. You buy it if your wish but it sounds fishy.

Garrett said...

Sorry, Gonzo. I didn't realize that sworn testimony before Congress meant so little to you and your ilk.

Garrett said...

Here's a link that appears to be that section of the testimony, so you can watch the whole thing yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxHjWYA50Ds&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epoliticstv%2Ecom%2F

Gonzo said...

Now that I've verified it, I have to eat crow on this one. It sounded so ridiculous I didn't do fact-checking on it, as I should have.

Gonzo said...

Hey, wait a minute...there appears to be a Paul Harvey-like "Rest of the Story". Seems that vital parts of this story were omitted. Shickingly so, eh? Dishonest libs - what a surprise. I knew something smelled, dammit.

I'll post a link shortly.