Sunday, May 06, 2007

"Why I left the Civil Rights Division"

Bob Kengle, Deputy Chief of the Voting Section, gives an inside view of the disintegration of the DoJ.

In short, I lost faith in the institution as it had become. This was not the result of just one individual, such as Brad Schlozman, although he certainly did his share and then some. Rather, it was the result of an institutional sabotage after which I concluded that as a supervisor I no longer could protect line attorneys from political appointees, keep the litigation I supervised focused on the law and the facts, ensure that attorneys place civil rights enforcement ahead of partisanship, or pursue cases based solely on merit.

2 comments:

Gonzo said...

I'm getting sick of these guys coming out of these jobs and then whining and bitching. It seems so ... unseemly.

This is an interesting post but I note that wha you call "disintegration" is contradicted by how the original letter ends which actually praises the current management in that office. Of course, disinformation being what it is....

Garrett said...

"I'm getting sick of these guys coming out of these jobs and then whining..."

Oh, really?