Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"Brownie's Law"

It's a crying shame that this is considered newsworthy, instead of a given...

Passing "Brownie's Law," so agencies like FEMA get the job done: Edwards will enact a new requirement - "Brownie's Law" - ensuring that senior political appointees actually are qualified to perform the job to which they are appointed. Brownie's Law will require that heads of executive agencies and other senior officials have demonstrated qualifications in the field related to their job.

4 comments:

Gonzo said...

That's just posturing on Edwards part.

I read the rest of his page and was struck by all the desire to appoint special recovery officers for the Gulf Coast. My God, whatever happened to personal responsibility?

As I have said many times before, I didn't need the government to wipe my ass to recover from Andrew in 1992. And it only took me about 15 months to get back to 100%.

Garrett said...

Well, good for you, Gonz. I'm glad you were able to recover by yourself.

The rest of the country, however, is not you. Stop assuming they are, please.

SeattleSusieQ said...

Gonzo,

Two things about your comment:

1.There is a difference between the damage of a hurricane and what happened when the levies broke. You probably WOULD have needed the govt to wipe your ass if you'd been through the same experience.

2. FEMA had a competent leader in 1992 because Clinton appointed someone who knew what they were doing. So if you needed your ass wiped at that time, it would have happened.

Gonzo said...

Suze, point 2 is well-taken and I consider myself chastised.

Really, though, I just can't imagine folks needing 2 frigging years and government aid to recover.