Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Swift Boat funder nominated to ambassadorship

But first, he has to be questioned by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. :-)

Kerry: Did you miss this: In September of 2004, Vice Admiral Ruth, with the Navy Inspector General, wrote a letter to the Secretary of the Navy that was made public -- the New York Times, the Washington Post, every major newspaper in the country carried, saying their examination found that the existing documentation regarding my medals was legitimate.

Did you miss that too?

Fox: I don’t remember those, but I'm certain at the time I must have read them.

Kerry: Do you think this should matter to me?

Fox: I'm sorry?

Kerry: Do you think this should matter to me?

Fox: Yes, I do.

5 comments:

Gonzo said...

I have mixed feelings about this line of questioning.

I can understand Kerry being upset with Fox over his contributions to the SBVT...in fact, I found his reserve and bearing remarkable considering the personal damage the incident did to his campaign.

OTOH, Bush nominates ambassadors and, as is always done, nominates party faithfuls. There were a lot of unanswered questions when the SBVT issue came out and if one believed what they were saying it is not illogical to assume that a partisan would contribute to them.

If you nailed every potential appointee for a questionable 527 or political contribution there wouldn't be many left.

SeattleSusieQ said...

>>If you nailed every potential appointee for a questionable 527 or political contribution there wouldn't be many left.<<

You only need a few. Why reward despicable behavior?

Gonzo said...

How is contributing to a 527 you believe in "despicable"?

Of course, 527s as a whole are pretty shady.

Garrett said...

I loved the way he hates 527s, but donated because someone asked him to, because everyone is doing it, but two wrongs don't make a right.

And the number of times he said "I just know what I read in the paper" is scary....

Gonzo said...

Yeah, that *was* pretty lame. That alone should raise questions about his judgement and ability to hold a major ambassadorship...start him off with something small, say, Lesotho.