Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Throw Da Bums Out

I was looking at the confidence numbers for Congress and the President today and they both show terrible approval ratings. Absolutely bad. Now, Bush is term-limited and is gone anyway next year but Pelosi and her new majority have got to be concerned about this. Or maybe not, maybe the agenda outweighs the popularity numbers. But I digress.

We were lied to in 1994. One of the tenets of the "Contract With America" was the imposition of Congressional term limits. It never happened. Instead, the new guys decided they liked pork and power and stayed around. A few backed out after a term or two on principle but that wasn't the rule.

Before I continue I'd like to say that I exempt the Senate from this idea because that's a more august, deliberative body and I'm not sure term limits are a good idea there.

Here's the idea: ALWAYS support the candidate either Dem or GOP as meets your principles running against any incumbent running for a third Congressional term. And I mean ALWAYS. I'd dearly love to organize a grassroots for this and perhaps someone can and will, but on general precepts can we agree that perpetual incumbancy is a BAD thing? I think we can.

Let's get rid of the insiders.

2 comments:

Garrett said...

Are you running again? :-)

I'd think about it, but I haven't lived here long enough yet to have credibility at the local level, never mind federal...

Gonzo said...

You misunderstand. I'm not talking about us running (although I may rethink that in a few yers for me), I'm talking about actively supporting anyone in a primary or general election running against a two-term incumbent.